Pray the Psalms


From time to time, I find my heart broken over the loss of a loved one, a friend, or a family member; or worse!
The Bible clearly tells us that among God’s people there are wolves that wear sheep’s clothing and every human heart is inclined toward sin from birth - and sin includes evil.
An evil heart is expert at creating confusion and contention.  An evil heart is expert at fooling others with smooth speech and flattering words.  An evil heart craves and demands control, and an evil heart’s highest authority is its own self-reference.  An evil heart plays on sympathies of good-willed people, often presenting themselves as full of grace; demanding mercy from others but giving no mercy themselves.  An evil heart demands warmth, forgiveness, and intimacy from those they have harmed with no empathy for the pain they caused and no intention to make amends or work hard to rebuild broken trusts and confidences.  An evil heart has no conscience and shows no remorse.  Imagine if we could get rid of just one evil thought or one evil deed then perhaps we could get rid of one evil heart; then perhaps another, and another.
Evil works against the will of God and those of us that place our trust and faith in the will of God must confront evil head on to stop evil.  Evil causes - anxiety, depression, confusion, and heart break.  We sometimes feel overwhelmed and (perhaps) at times when most we experience feelings of anxiety, depression, confusion, and heart break, we reach out to others asking them for their individual prayer.
I suppose asking a total stranger or (at best) a layperson to pray for us somehow makes us feel as though we have fulfilled our obligation to prayer and through some magical or numinous force, God will grant to us an answer to someone else’s prayer.  I enjoy praying for others, my words just do not seem adequate.  When I need a personal conversation with God – I believe we do ourselves an injustice by not using our own words from our own hearts, minds, and mouths, to tell our God exactly what it is we need to relieve our sorrows.
When my heart does break, and when I talk with our God, I often turn to the Psalms.  Although we should all read the Psalms every day, I always feel good about giving God a little extra prayer from time to time.  I find the following Psalms encourage me and inspire me, I pray you have some favorite Psalms of your own.
Psalm 73:26 my flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.
Psalm 23 is perhaps to most people, the best known Psalm – but – do not overlook the profound truth and comfort this Psalm brings to us because of your personal familiarity.
Psalm 27 is one of my life verses.  I’ve struggled considerably trying to please everyone just to find out I can please nobody.  Always wondering and worrying and becoming fearful of what he or she might think or what they might do or say about me.
I like to think Psalm 34 is for the brokenhearted.  God love the brokenhearted.
Psalm 61 - Hear my cry, O God ~.
Psalm 91 tells us that when we abide or dwell in the shelter of the Most High, we can REST in His shadow. He gives us rest from our worry, from our fears, from our anxiety.
“You are my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”  Psalm 91:2
And when I’ve read all of my Psalms, and as I pray my last prayer, I try to remember the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:4-6.
There is a way to read all of the Psalms every month and I recommend you incorporate the Psalms into your daily devotional.  The Psalms too are important; I love the Psalms.  If you do not know how to read the Psalms, ask your church leader.  If you do not have a church leader, you may ask me and I can help.  God Bless us all today and for the remainder of our days.
Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal. Thomas Moore

Comments